Intuitive Eating is a self-care eating framework, which integrates instinct, emotion, and rational thought and was created by two dietitians, Evelyn Tribole and Elyse Resch in 1995. Intuitive Eating is a weight-inclusive, evidence-based model with a validated assessment scale and over 100 studies to date.
It’s a personal and dynamic process, which includes 10 principles:
- Reject the Diet Mentality
- Honor Your Hunger
- Make Peace with Food
- Challenge the Food Police
- Respect Your Fullness
- Discover the Satisfaction Factor
- Honor Your Feelings without Using Food
- Respect Your Body
- Exercise—Feel the Difference
- Honor Your Health with Gentle Nutrition
The principles work in two key ways:
- By helping you cultivate attunement to the physical sensations that arise from within your body to get both your biological and psychological needs met and
- Removing the obstacles and disruptors to attunement, which usually come from the mind in the form of rules, beliefs, and thoughts.
The process of Intuitive Eating is a practice, which honors both physical and mental health. Intuitive Eating is aligned with Health at Every Size, because the pursuit of intentional weight loss is a failed paradigm. Dieting and other efforts to intentionally lose weight also create health problems, including weight stigma, weight cycling, and eating disorders.
We believe all bodies deserve dignity and respect. Period.
Intuitive Eating Resources:
Take an Intuitive Eating Assessment to see how intuitively you eat.
Download the Intuitive Eating Jumpstart Guide.